A typical passport application may take 4-6 weeks to complete. For an additional cost, you can expedite your passport application, which may take 2-3 weeks to complete. In case of emergency, or if you are in need of a passport in 2 weeks or less, our district office may be able to help you. We can also report lost passports and monitor overseas travel restrictions.

Applying for a passport can often be confusing and tedious. The best source of information about obtaining a passport is to visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, www.travel.state.gov.  

If you have a child under the age of 16 that is applying for a passport, if you are over the age of 16 and are applying for your first adult passport, or if your passport is lost or stolen, you will need to apply for in person at a local post office or passport acceptance facility. For information on the requirements, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs webpage. Most post offices and passport acceptance facilities operate by appointment only. It is best to make an appointment with plenty of time before your planned departure date. The Passport Hotline number to schedule an appointment is (919) 420-5343. Click here to find the facility closest to you. 

If you have an expired adult passport, you were recently married and need to change your name, or if there is an error with your passport, you can renew your passport through the mail without having to schedule an appointment with a passport acceptance facility. For more information about renewing your passport, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs webpage. 

If you are planning to travel abroad, I recommend you sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the State Department. Registering for this program gives the State Department the ability to warn you about any travel warnings or alerts that could harm you if such events were to occur.

If you are oversees and your passport is lost or stolen or if an emergency occurs, please contact Overseas Citizens Services Immediately.

From within the U.S. 1-888-407-4747
From outside the U.S. 1-202-501-4444


The following information is for immigrants. Please contact my office for assistance with any questions or problems you may have.

The Place To

Connect with George

Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter, or follow me on social media