It is my privilege to nominate outstanding high school students from the 2nd Congressional District of North Carolina for appointment to the United States Military Service Academies: the United States Air Force Academy, the United States Merchant Marine Academy, the United States Military Academy, and the United States Naval Academy.
Each applicant for a nomination from my office must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicant must be at least 17 years old, but not yet 23 years, of age on July 1st of the year of admission (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy).
- Applicant must be a United States citizen and a legal and permanent resident of the 2nd Congressional District of North Carolina.
- Applicant must be unmarried, must not be pregnant, and must have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
To apply for a nomination, applicants must submit the following to my Raleigh District Office on or before November 1st:
- Completed and signed application
- Sealed and official high school transcript (must include grades from freshman through junior year, grade point average and class rank)
- Standardized test scores (SAT code: 7221 and ACT code: 7580)
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from a teacher and the other can be from a teacher, guidance counselor, principal, coach, ROTC advisor or scout leader)
Please mail all completed applications by the November 1st deadline to:
Congressman George Holding
Attention: Ms. Carol Armstrong
6404 Falls of Neuse Road, Suite 103
Raleigh, North Carolina 27615
In addition to applying for an academy nomination from my office, I strongly encourage you to apply to both United States Senators and the Office of the Vice President. You are also required to complete an admissions application with the academy, or academies, to which you are applying. You can contact each academy by using the below information:
If you are interested in attending the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut, please visit http://www.uscga.edu/
for more information. Unlike the academies above, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination.